Here, am I running away from the room? No, I’m using body language to make a point about using the entire space.
We don’t want to merely survive our next presentation. We want to own the room!
- Walk to the front as though you “own the joint.”
- Have zero doubt about your credentials.
- Communicate your expectations.
- Gently but firmly reinforce any boundaries you set.
- If there are experts in the room, use them.
- Get your audience involved from the get-go.
- Laugh at yourself.
- Be vulnerable when that would put others at ease.
- Be aware of any distractions and quell them.
As the speaker, you are the steward of the space. You must manage and nourish the space, for the benefit of all.